Tate, the kids, and I spent the weekend in our favorite Midwestern destination, St. Louis.
With the holidays coming up, we took the kids out to a few different places hoping to get some fabulous pictures for our Christmas card. Since we were in the middle of a move last year, I didn’t have time to send out Christmas cards and I know the rules of the game. One year without reciprocating a photo Christmas card and/or cheesy family letter is acceptable, though noted by the non-recipient with disdain. Two years without reciprocation means you are forever banned from receiving further photos of friends’ children or cheesy letters describing in detail the past year’s accomplishments.
I CAN’T BE BANNED! I want to see photos of my friends’ kids and I want to know about their Aunt Erma’s hip replacement and that their new puppy, Gizmo, is FINALLY crate trained! Getting mail during the month of December is something I look forward to the whole year.
Also I have really adorable children that actually, if we’re being honest here, are way cuter than everyone else’s kids and therefore I OWE IT to everyone to send out their photos.
My requirements for the fabulous picture included:
1. Both children must be in the photo.
2. Both children have to be looking at the camera.
3. Both children should have pleasant expressions on their faces.
4. If the children are smiling, it must be a genuine smile and not one of those “say cheese” smiles.
5. No action shots. The children shall sit quietly while mommy takes the pictures.
These requirements seemed TOTALLY REASONABLE because OH MY FRICKITY FRACK IT’S NOT THAT HARD!!!
With more than a few heavy sighs and frustrated pouts, I have resigned myself to the fact that rather than sending out a fabulous picture, I may have to settle for a decent-enough picture.
Nearly 300 photos taken, nearly 300 rejects.
1. Both children need not be in the photo. I’m flexible.
2. Neither child actually needs to look at the camera. Hell, why not just look off into space!
3. Pleasant expressions unnecessary, any expression is fine. Really. Just any old expression.
4. “Say Cheese” smiles are at least smiles!
5. Action shots! Yeah! Blur can be…good?.