1. You know those library summer reading programs? Kids read a certain number of minutes or books and at the end of the summer, they get prizes. My kids? HATED it. HATED. IT. After a few weeks of yelling and tears to get them to read for a measly 20 minutes a day, I gave up. We watched lots of Netflix instead.
We are summer reading program drop outs and I’m okay with that.
2. We didn’t eat at Chick-Fil-A yesterday or anytime recently. Not because we were making a political statement, but because my kids don’t actually like eating chicken in general. They just go for the play area. Too bad our local sushi place doesn’t have a play area because THAT would really get my kids excited. They love sushi and that soup with the two mushrooms that Japanese restaurants serve.
3. I’m trying to influence Ella to choose gymnastics over soccer this fall. We only allow them to choose one activity to participate in at a time. Ella is actually doing well in gymnastics, but lately she’s been saying she wants to play soccer. Well. She has played soccer before and within a few weeks, grows bored, cries at games, and I just…would rather not deal with that. Also, gymnastics is once a week on Tuesdays! GLORY!! Yucky old soccer is twice a week, including early on Saturday mornings. BOOOOO! Add in the fact that Carson will be playing soccer, that means we’ll be at the soccer fields a minimum of four times a week. QUADRUPLE BOO!
I’ve been feeding her a steady diet of Olympics Women’s Gymnastics in hopes that I can tip the scales back to gymnastics.
4. I’m feeling far less weepy about Ella starting Kindergarten than I was for Carson. In fact, I’m sort of giddy with excitement about it. Just think! FIVE DAYS A WEEK of sweet, sweet silence.
5. We have had a ridiculously busy summer. Two trips to St. Louis in two weeks, swimming lessons, more swimming, a visit to a waterpark, baseball games, children’s museum, local parks, splash pads, sprinklers, easy bake oven baking, ice cream making, bike riding, camping, fishing, boating….I have to say, I ROCK as mom.
6. I have ignored my kids quite a bit this summer while catching up on reading. So, yeah, I don’t always rock as a mom. So far I’ve read and liked: Bel Canto, The Dovekeepers, The Night Circus, The Devil in the White City, The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao,and The Autobiography of Mrs. Tom Thumb. I’ve also read and didn’t really like: The Recipe Club and Petty Magic. I’m currently reading The Witching Hour and it’s SO GOOD. (All those links are affiliate links, suckers!) (Just kidding about the suckers part.) (I’m just trying to get extremely wealthy off affiliate links.) (Thanks for understanding.)