I kept trying to assure her that I did not sew any fire ants into the seams.
Anyway, I’m pretty proud of my hand-sewn dress. Other than the required apron I made in 8th grade and my recent curtains, this was my very first thing to sew from a pattern. My 8th grade Home-Ec teacher would also be very proud that I’m putting my skills to use. (Though, on a completely unrelated note, I have never fully forgiven her for cutting me in the first round of 7th grade cheerleading tryouts. Well, maybe it’s not completely unrelated. I mean, I haven’t used my sewing “talent” in all these years. It’s probably all because of my 8th grade Home-Ec teacher.)
Sure the pattern said EASY!, and maybe it would be easy for an experienced seamstress, but for me, a novice, it wasn’t easy. There were buttonholes! And interfacing. I didn’t even know what interfacing was until I googled it.
I even made a few alterations to the pattern. It called for appliques. Appliques! Ugh! I know! That word “applique” is just awful! Also, I’m just plain old fundamentally opposed to appliques themselves. An executive decision was made that I didn’t have to put the appliques on the dress. That was modification one.
The other modification was the lovely ribbon accent I added to the bottom hem.
Now I just have to learn how to make jon-jons for Carson. HA! Ha, ha, ha!! Oh man, hoo boy! I crack myself up.